Saturday, September 8, 2018

Swim, Sun, Snooze/Lather, Rinse, Repeat. And Again with the Vineyard: August 2018


In which the vacationing Laskins visit their favorite place, take an unconscionable number of naps, and some of us eat a lot of clams.  Plus hockey jokes.  

WE MISSED A YEAR.  There is some vague trepidation accompanying my Vineyard planning this year because we DID NOT GO LAST SUMMER.  What if it has changed?  What if the house (a new rental for us) is terrible?  What if the beach is bad, there are no more lobster rolls at Grace Church, god forbid the Up-Island Cronig’s has stopped carrying exactly three of everything?  What if Chilmark Chocolates is OPEN when we are there?  What if they don’t sing The Swiss Na-vee at the Sing-a-Long? Despite my obsessive monitoring of the Vineyard Gazette and approximately 50 MV-related Facebook pages and Instagram accounts, there are so many sources of potential disaster.  I make lists of Things To Do, and Places To Eat, and Things To Bring, and as we close in on departure day, monitor the weather, of course.  I even order things from Vineyard Vines.[1]  Can you tell that my kids are away at camp for most of the summer, so I need something to worry about for godssake? 

Also, just that weird thing about writing a journal for a trip that you’ve already taken a half-dozen times.  The fine line between clever and, uh, stupid becomes ever harder to see.  Of course that could also just be because I need reading glasses to see anything these days. 

But back to Martha’s Vineyard, here’s one thing that sort of hasn’t changed:  the Obamas are on the island!  At least, they were a few days before we arrived.  The motorcade doesn’t snarl traffic any more, and there aren’t any Coast Guard cutters patrolling offshore, but we still bask in the memory of intelligent leadership.  Don’t get me started. 

(Follow along on the sidebar for the next installment!)




[1] This horrifies my children, who think Vineyard Vines and its whole preppy vibe are just the worst.  They’re maybe not wrong but sometimes I can’t deny my heritage.   

No comments:

Post a Comment