Saturday, September 8, 2018

And Again with the Vineyard, 2018: Day 14


Provisioning up for the big dinner-and-JAWS-sing-a-long this evening involves an early morning run to Menemsha for enough bluefish for 12.  This also means that I can have the true Breakfast of Champions:  six littlenecks, shucked right then and there.  They’re as briny as can be and I love them with all my heart.  If I had this for breakfast every day there is really nothing I could not do.

While I’m ordering the bluefish and the clams and paying, Larsen’s fills right up with fish-ordering folks.  “Here comes Saturday!” says the gal behind the register.  

A minor crisis involving Bill’s lost glasses – left somewhere along Lambert’s Cove Road when he stopped on his bike ride to read a text – means that he has to wear his stylish sunglasses if he wants to see anything at a distance.  This isn’t a problem, in my opinion.

We have a last, long, lazy day at Lambert’s Cove wherein we swim and nap and read and nap and eat sandwiches and Wheat Thins and take a walk and nap and then chat with various Londons who make their way down the beach later in the day.  On the way down to the beach, Peter noted that the rules sternly forbid all animals on the beach after 10 a.m.  No seagulls allowed, he wonders?  How are you gonna police that?  And what about humans?  More vague writing, dammit. 

All too soon it is time to leave. 

Welcome to the 2018 version of Cooking Without a Net!  We whip up a more-than-passable dinner for all the remaining Londons (note to self:  remember to do the soy-olive oil-garlic-dijon marinade for bluefish again, it was that good), in which I make the tuna tartare that I only ever make on MV[1] and we stretch our last two Colorado peaches with some mint and some raspberries to make a lovely dessert with some ice cream. 

JAWS, well, you know how that ends but we watch it all the way through anyway, some through splayed fingers over their faces.  I remain in awe of Robert Shaw’s extended monologue about the U.S.S. Indianapolis, it is my very favorite bit and I’ll hum Spanish Ladies for the next few days.




[1] Why do I only ever make it on MV?  There is no reason.  I just do, that’s all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment