Thursday, February 25, 2016

Our Sun Valley Serenade - February 19, 2016

Izzy and I each lost 500 points today for forgetting equipment.  In my defense, I have a bit of a cold, so I am not thinking clearly.  I don’t know what her excuse is.

Attempting to dictate a text to Bill about this situation resulted in the following:













We think the Norwegian alphabet was somehow inexplicably turned on, on my phone.  Alternatively, I was laughing so hard by the end of this that perhaps I sounded Norwegian.  At any rate, Peter had to commandeer the phone to actually send the message.

Last ski day and everyone in town is out, due to about 8 new inches last night.  We actually have to wait in line about five minutes at one point!  Damn these crowds. 

You know it is busy when the Lookout has run out of cookies by 1 p.m.

Izzy has some buyer’s remorse early on, wishing she could have gone with ski school this morning (Parker is THAT MUCH FUN!) but she gets over it by showing us Adventure Trails.  These are twisty-turny tracks through trees, named things like Red-Headed Woodpecker and Foxy Forest.  I thought I’d hate them, but they are actually really fun!  The trick, for grownups, is to make yourself as small as possible, and just trust your skis to follow the tracks up and down and around hairpin curves and switchbacks.  We do four of them today, which thrills Izzy, and we generally have a swell last day on more fresh snow, skiing almost until closing. 

Izzy is considering going as Gretchen Fraser for Halloween this year.  She’s got the braids, but we need to work on the stylin’ pants.


After a successful shop for t-shirts and stickers, Bill and Izzy and I drove out to find the Hemingway Memorial.  Unfortunately for us, you couldn’t drive near it, and none of us felt like hiking a mile or so to see it.  But it is along a lovely creek, near the Trail Creek Cabin, which had been Averell Harriman’s private hunting cabin and now is a restaurant.  More importantly, we found the Konditerei.

No comments:

Post a Comment