Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Over the Top in France - August 15, 2015

We wake to steady rain, the first truly bad weather of our trip.   Time to go home! 

It takes half an hour to get to CDG with no traffic.  But it takes another hour to get checked in and through multiple security clearances.  Still, not-so-quiet complaints from other Yanks in line about "that's French customer service for you" and "they don't care, they can't get fired, they are all in a union anyway" make me want to rush to the defense of la France even though there are in fact some stunning inefficiencies and inconsistencies here.  

Through a mad spending spree at duty-free, I manage to take us down to less than two euro in change, and I am pretty chuffed about that foreign currency management.  A few cooking mags use up the balance.

Overheard at CDG, while waiting to board:  “I guess I can delete my Paris Metro app.  Goodbye, Paris Metro app.”

I can report that a Kayser baguette and a wedge of Roquefort with quince paste, while maybe a little stinky, makes the plane trip home rather better.


Unlike the AEF, the LEF leaves no monuments and takes just a few (legal) souvenirs.  And we surely have eaten better and traveled more comfortably.  Bill says he’s really glad we did it, but doesn’t think he wants to do more WWI.  But, but, we never got to the Somme!  Arras!  Mons!  Maybe I can persuade Peter to join me again, even if he is an expensive date to feed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment